Monday, September 21, 2009

Single professional female in possession of own hair seeks tall, dark, handsome male; GSOH and own teeth a must.

Recently I dipped my toe (the big one on my right foot) into the waters of online dating. I have had limited success (ie. none) because having been freaked out by some of the, well, freaks out there I have backed away to rethink and muster my forces. I received messages like:

"I have recently moved to this country and you seem like just the woman for me, I am not messing about! If you are interested in me email englishwifeequalsvisa@illegalimigrant.com"

or..."I like cats too, our cats should meet.." I wasn't sure who I was organising a date for me or Freddie my cat.

or..."I hope you like my profile and will send me a message. You probably won't reply, most women are just heartless on these sites and mess men about." I didn't reply.

I know someone who went on a first date only to be informed that the guy had picked out 'the ring' and was just waiting to find the right girl. Later he observed that mixed race children were cute (she was white he was black). Nothing like taking things slow.

A friend was dumped recently she informs me; she never went on a date with this guy but he arranged and cancelled 3 dates with her before deciding there was no future for them "I've been dumped!"

Now, I must be fair because I also know plenty of people who have met great guys through online dating, who have met their life partners. On reflection, and having spoken to some veterans of online dating, I realise that I need to be more proactive, message more men and not just wait for them to contact me. My recent experience was just an experiment to see what online dating looked like; I think I now need to take a deep breath and get back in there whole-hearted. In a way online dating and I have had our first date and although things didn't go all that well I think it may be worth a second look.

No comments: