Sunday, March 04, 2007

Marrying the Sea Till Death Do Us Part

Well I stood before the ocean
In the middle of the night
And ‘cos I loved her so
I asked her then if she would be my wife
Then I closed my eyes and waited
And I listened for an answer
Until she kissed my feet
And whispered I could not give you my answer
And then as she walked me up and down along the shore
She said you’re far too young to marry me
For I am old as old can be
And I’ve been wed with many men
But for all my love I far outlived them all.

So I went to her the next night
All a merry-ed up with wine
And I asked her for her long blue hand
For to hold hers there in mine
And then once again I waited
And I listened for awhile
Until I heard her voice come
Crashing in the waves
That broke all round for miles and miles
She said how could I place my trust in thee
When I am bound and you are free
See so many men have took my hand
And so many of them left me for the land

There were fisherman, whalers, seamen and sailors
But for all it’s just me and the moon
And for each star above me
Ten more have loved me
How could it be different with you
So when It was quiet on the third night
I said my life is in your hands
You can keep me for the time I have
Or I’ll lie here on the sand
And it was quiet on the third night
As I took off my shoes
But as I walked into her arms she said
Sure what have I to lose.

Declan O'Rourke

2 comments:

Giovanni Tummarello said...

I have seen this sang during the "married to the sea" play, very touching. Thanks for the post.

Rex said...

Brianne, I think the 6th line is actually "....I could not give my hand sir". Check out "Galileo" by Declan O'Rourke as well, simply beautiful.

EddieT